ieltscommunity11

Thursday, May 25, 2006

That was the blog that was

Ah well

I wasn't expecting very much and so it proved. Only four students came last night to finish off the course - the serious ones.

We'll keep the weblog going until I start a new one for the 3 June course that I will be starting (oh dear, just before the FIFA World Cup!)

As you can see, football has been taking up a fair bit of my attention recently. I've been ready to respond to IELTS queries and postings, but nothing has materialised from the I-drive weblog (I doubt that anything of note will come up in the next few days.)

So I'll leave you now, the lack of comments / posts / initiative are a bit sad, but there you go.

The chief recommendations last night were for:


  • four week Pre-IELTS courses (3 x 3 hour lessons per week)
  • grammar mistakes to be corrected (on an IELTS preparation course?)
  • taking General English courses in the future to build up vocab / skills
  • learning 10 key words every lesson
  • building up a core Vocabulary - having a list of important words

Have we forgotten anything?

How about getting that orange Macmillan dictionary:

"Macmillan ESSENTIAL Dictionary" (International Student Edition)

ISBN: 140501427X + website www.macmillandictionary.com

Go and ask the Al Mutanabbi Bookshop why they don't have it in stock - speak to Mubarek in the Medinat Zayed Al Mutanabbi Bookshop (behind HSBC Bank) on: (02) 634 0319. If they don't have it, then COMPLAIN!

That's all from me, I'll leave you alone now!

Bye

Tony

It was interesting doing the Pre-IELTS course . . . Good luck everyone!

2 Comments:

  • Thank you, my faithful friend!

    Oh that recent classes had a fraction of your endeavour and hunger for self-improvement, ya Doctor Rashid!

    All the very best, let's see how the new bunch of IELTS learners (FULL Intermediate standard/Band 7.0 targeting) starting on 3 June turn out.

    Best regards, it's great to see that you are still interested in my humble IELTS classes!

    Tony

    By Blogger Tony Beale, at 7:36 pm  

  • Hi Kamal

    Sure, use any dictionary that helps you. I personally like the Macmillan Essential Dictionary, that is not to say that the Longman or Oxford one is NOT recommended.

    Thanks for the website reference.

    Tony

    By Blogger Tony Beale, at 7:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home